Volunteering at Canberra Glassworks is HOT!
Be part of the Canberra Glassworks team
Like many cultural organisations within Canberra and around Australia, assistance from a strong, committed and dedicated team of volunteers is helping to ensure the long-term success of Canberra Glassworks. The volunteer program is integral to the fabric of the Glassworks. Volunteers contribute to the day-to-day operation of the organisation, to ensure that it operates efficiently and professionally. They work alongside staff, assisting with a range of administrative tasks, including updating mailing lists and publicity materials.
Volunteers also have an important role to play as the welcoming committee for the Canberra Glassworks, greeting visitors, providing information, answering questions and working on special projects. Outside of this, volunteers have the opportunity to inform and promote the Glassworks to a wider audience – friends, relatives, acquaintances – encouraging greater community participation and contributing to the ongoing development of a successful business. In these ways Canberra Glassworks volunteers are actively assisting in achieving the organisation’s objective to promote Canberra Glassworks as a centre of excellence in contemporary glass art and design, and to develop awareness of glass as a visual art form more generally.
The opportunity to support a community based not-for-profit arts organisation and work in a creative team environment
- A chance to work alongside leading glass artists from Australia and overseas
- Access to behind-the-scenes at the Glassworks such as use of the artists’ ‘Red Room’ room furnished with a computer, a small library, a kitchen and pool table.
- 10% discount on items in store (except books and magazines)
- 10% discount for Off the Street sessions and glass classes
- Training sessions and bi-monthly volunteer meetings including special artists talks and demonstrations
- The opportunity to gain work experience and professional skills in a range of roles within a major cultural attraction
- Invitations to special events, gallery openings and previews
- Free glass class after 70 hours worked
Why we need you!
Glass making at any level involves the sharing of ideas, information and skills, and the outcomes are the result of artists and others working together to achieve common goals. Volunteers are an important part of this creative process. Volunteering is a great way to support the arts, learn about the vast world of glass, contribute to Canberra’s most creative cultural attraction, develop skills and meet new friends.
Current volunteering opportunities
The Canberra Glassworks is currently seeking volunteers in the following areas:
- Reception and Retail Assistants
- Gallery Minders
- Light Maintenance
- Finance area support
- Marketing and PR
- Special Events
- Tour Guides
- Off the Street Assistants
Like more information?
Call us on 02 6260 7005, email email@example.com or call in and see us at the Canberra Glassworks Wednesday to Sunday from 10am to 4pm.