2012 Kids Design Competition
The Big Birthday Party!
To help celebrate the Glassworks 5th birthday the competition theme was: The Big Birthday Party.
The challenge was to create a design to celebrate a birthday. It could be something to hold special party foods or drinks, maybe a fancy decoration, cake or hat!
Four winning designs have been chosen to be transformed into glass objects by the amazing artist of Canberra Glassworks. The design making will happen as part of Canberra Glassworks 5th birthday celebrations on Sunday 27 May 2012 between 11am and 2pm. Everyone is welcome to come and watch and join in on the fun.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
- The Big Birthday Party Design Competition was judged in two age groups: 3 – 7yrs and 8-13 yrs
- There were 2 winning designs chosen from each group
- The winning designs were judged by professional artists
- The winners were notified by e-mail on 14th May
- The winning designs will be made by professional artists in the Hotshop and the Kiln room of Canberra Glassworks on Sunday 27rd May 2012 from 11am to 2pm
- Everyone is welcome to come and view the winning designs being made
- Once the Birthday Party designs are transformed into glass we will put them on display in the foyer for June and July after which they will be given to the winners
- Every entrant agrees to allow the Canberra Glassworks to publish and use any photos and details (excluding contact details) from this competition in its publicity activities.
Funky Flowers in 2011
Throughout Floriade and the September 2011 school holidays, Canberra Glassworks, in conjunction with Canberra Times and Mix FM, ran their annual Kid’s Design Competition with a floral theme.
The Funky Flowers Kids Design Competition was a huge success with 242 entries over two age categories, 3 to 9 and 10 to 14. Kids had to design their own funky flower for their chance to win their design in glass. The designs were judged by renowned glass artists Brian Corr and Luna Ryan and Canberra Glassworks Visitor Experiences & Public Programs Manager, Victoria Kelly.
Brian, who has exhibited and taught internationally and whose work is included in many public and private collections around the world, led the team of artists who endeavoured to recreate the designs in glass in the Hotshop. The team of artists also included Glenn Bush, Kate Nixon, Ruth White and John White.
The winning design in the 3 to 9 year age group was done by Grace Kuchlmayr aged 9 and titled Funktastic Flower.
The winning design in the 10 to 14 year age group was done by Alison Menzies aged 10 and titled Crazy Tulips!
The lucky winners, who were there on the day to see their works being created, have won the glass art pieces once they have finished being on show in the Glassworks Foyer.
The Crazy Tulip may be familiar to some people – he featured on the Canberra Glassworks 2011 Christmas Card.